How can a serious injury lawyer help me?
Accidents can range from a minor slip or fall that results in a bruised elbow to a tragic accident resulting in a traumatic brain injury or loss of a limb. Suppose you or someone you love has experienced a severe injury due to negligence. In that case, you should consult a serious injury lawyer to determine whether you have a personal injury case. Serious injuries often result in permanent damage, and you can have long-lasting medical needs or loss of income. Our De Castroverde team helps answer the question, “How can a serious injury lawyer help me?”
What Is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury is any injury that affects an individual, including bodily injury, emotional well-being, and reputation. Examples of personal injuries include:
- Pedestrian accidents.
- Bicycle accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents.
- Car accidents.
- Truck accidents.
- Slip, trip, or fall accidents.
- Product liability.
- Police misconduct.
- Medical malpractice.
- False accusations.
- Assault or battery.
- Wrongful death.
If you or a loved one have experienced an injury or accident that may qualify as a personal injury case, contact our team at De Castroverde for a free case evaluation. We can discuss whether you have a valid case and the expected settlement you can hope to recover.
Common Personal Injury Claims
A personal injury claim allows the plaintiff to receive financial compensation for their suffering due to another’s intentional or negligent actions. Personal injury claims are generally categorized into four types: accidents, intentional acts, defective products, and defamation.
- Accidents: If one party’s negligence or carelessness causes harm to another person without intent, it’s considered an accident.
- Intentional acts: When one party intentionally goes after another, such as in cases of assault and battery, those injuries can be covered under a personal injury claim.
- Defective products: Dangerous or defective consumer products, vehicle components, pharmaceutical drugs, or other products can be deemed product liability injuries resulting in a claim against the manufacturer.
- Defamation: When someone publishes or publicly states false information as facts, a personal injury lawsuit can cover damage to your reputation.
What Is a Serious Injury?
A severe personal injury requires a lengthy rehabilitation process, permanent damage, long-term disability, disfigurement, or an injury from which the plaintiff will never fully recover. Examples of serious injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Partial or total paralysis.
- Loss of a limb.
- Permanent damage to an organ.
- Loss of function of an organ.
- Significant limitations to the function of an organ.
- Severe burns.
Medical reports supported by a doctor’s medical opinion are often used to define a severe or catastrophic injury. Any accident, intentional act, or defective product can result in a serious injury.
What Is a Serious Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit seeks financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages. A serious personal injury lawsuit often includes compensation for future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering resulting from the catastrophic injury. These types of cases are much more complex than traditional personal injury lawsuits because you’re dealing with future anticipated expenses, calculating the reduced quality of life, and deciding what future needs the victim may require. A skilled professional from our team at De Castroverde can help determine suitable financial compensation specific to your injuries and needs.
You can seek compensation for associated economic damages in a serious personal injury claim. These expenses include current and future medical bills, transportation to medical facilities, rehabilitation services, physical therapy, chiropractic care, and current and future lost wages. Economic damages are typically quantifiable, making them easier to recover.
Pain and suffering are covered under non-economic damages, a subjective expense associated with your injury. Pain and suffering include mental anguish, anxiety, depression, emotional distress, and a loss of joy in daily activities. They can also include dealing with permanent disfigurement or loss of a limb.
If the defendant in your case acted maliciously or with gross negligence, you might also be awarded punitive damages. These are above and beyond the economic and non-economic damages, designed to punish the defendant further to clarify that the courts believe their actions were heinous.
Common Causes of Serious Injuries
Serious injuries can happen in various situations, such as high-speed accidents or defective products. Many of the most severe injuries occur in vehicle accidents, from passenger-only vehicles to big-rig trucks. Common causes of serious injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents.
- Watercraft accidents.
- Pedestrians vs. vehicle accidents.
- Horseback riding accidents.
- Sports accidents.
- Work accidents.
- Domestic violence or assault and battery.
- Defective products.
You can’t always predict when or how a serious injury will occur. A serious injury can still happen even when you’re being careful and following all safety precautions.
What To Do After a Serious Injury
A mistake in the recovery process can be costly when an accident or defective product results in serious injury. Before filing a lawsuit, you should do the following:
- Seek medical attention after an accident because not all injuries are visible immediately. Get checked out from head to toe by a medical professional to ensure you don’t have any internal or brain injuries.
- Keep detailed records of all doctor visits, symptoms, medical reports, witness statements, accident reports, rehabilitation services, and the impact the accident or injury has had on your daily life.
- Hire a severe personal injury attorney who will work with you from start to finish to ensure your rights are protected and you get the best settlement possible. A skilled lawyer lets you focus on healing while they focus on your case.
How Can a Serious Injury Lawyer Help?
A serious injury lawyer has the knowledge and experience required to go up against the insurance companies or businesses that have a wealth of legal experts on their side to keep settlements low. You deserve to have someone on your side to get you the best compensation possible.
Contact De Castroverde Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident or has injuries resulting from a defective product or a violent act, contact our knowledgeable team at De Castroverde today. We’ve served the Las Vegas area for over a decade, providing clear communication and a stress-free environment for our clients. We also have a Spanish-speaking staff for your convenience. Call us at 702-803-3796 or complete our secure online form to schedule a free case evaluation. We look forward to helping you recover the compensation you deserve.